On a technical level a roof loft or roof raise, is the process by which the existing roof is lifted off, and new, usually larger and higher roof is lifted back on. The old roof trusses (the wooden triangular shaped frames), are usually replaced with ‘attic trusses’. These are stronger in construction and do not have internal cross beams, leaving it ready for creating a stunning living space within.
A roof lift does all of the following:
- Fastest and cheapest way to create a larger roof space.
- Safe removal of internal cross beam, opening up the space.
- Increased internal head height, not just at the centre point of the roof.
- Significantly more usable floor space.
- Dramatical strengthens the roof structure, making it usable as a living space.
- The entire roof is re-felted and tiled, meaning old/cracked tiles are replaced.
- Dependant upon final construction the new roof can still have storage space to the side and a small loft at the peak of the roof.
You now know what a roof lift is (also known as a roof raise) but why do you need a roof loft instead of simply converting your existing loft.
- In order to convert your existing loft, you ideally need a minimum head height of 2.3m. Whilst we do have options available if you have less a little less than 2.3m, in most instances you’ll need a roof lift.
- Assuming you have the head height, then to create the total floor space you need, then a loft conversion may not an option due to the increase in roof pitch.
- As your replacing the entire roof, this will allow you to re-profile the shape an aspects of the roof. This might be especially useful if want to make better use of the views from your home.
Plus, unlike almost any roof lift company we know of, we do this at almost zero impact on the existing property, allow you to stay in the comfort of your home whilst the work is completed.
Don’t need a roof lift, but want to know more about loft conversions. Then visit our dedicated Loft Conversion website.
The simple answer, absolutely it will. Independent research tells us a roof lift or loft conversion is one the most recommended ways of adding value to your home – why?
It comes down to three basic reasons:
- You create more living space within your existing home.
- According to independent surveys completed, a loft conversion per square metre gained is half that of an house extension.
- It doesn’t reduce your valuable garden space.
A good estate agent will tell you adding value to your home can be achieved easily be doing any or a combination of the following:
- Add 10% or more to the total floor space of your home (a full roof lift, can almost double your existing floor space!)
- Increase the number of bedroom for the property
- Create an additional bathroom or en-suite
- The above being done without significantly reducing your garden space
In summary this is what we do:
Day Before – Strip your existing roof ready, leaving a water proof layer just in case.
Roof Lift Day – We replace your entire roof! At the end of the day it will be waterproof and sleeping in your own bed.
The Following Days – We begin to tile your roof space, adding windows and dormers as needed. All the while your home is safe, dry and accessible.
This way, its fast, and keep you using your home with no internal interruption to you and your family.
Great Ideas For Your Roof Lift Loft Conversion
Here is a just a small selection of ideas you might want to use your newly raised roof for:
What ever you need for that precious extra space, a roof lift can make it happen for you. We have the experience and design flair to turn your dreams into a space you’ll be proud of. Plus, don’t forget it will be cheaper than moving to an equivalent property and still add value to your home.
Been told you can’t covert your loft?
Only takes a few seconds!